Wednesday, October 30, 2013

commentator archives - dr belkin on drama

I always love looking through old newspapers - i think its fascinating to see old perspectives and what exactly people were thinking about back then.

A friend of mine decided to look through the archives of the commentator and found a fascinating article by Dr. Belkin.  I found this article to be a little harsh, but maybe that just reflects a lack of sensitivity on my part - you'll see what I mean when you read it.  Overall, I think we all wish the university today was guided a little more by the perspective of Dr. Belkin.

Just a word/story about Dr. Belkin:  One shabbos an alumnus of YU was here who was a talmid of R Gorelick (one of the roshei yeshiva at YU then from pre-war europe).  R Gorelick told his talmidim: 'you all think that I am kodesh, while Dr. Belkin, who is just the president of the university, isn't anything special.  But really its exactly the opposite - in Radin, Dr. Belkin was the big iluy/masmid while I used to hide in the bathroom and read Voltaire. ' At which point one student interjected - c'mon rebbe, you don't really know voltaire - so R gorelick showed him that he knew voltaire a lot better than this student.  the point being that despite not being famous, dr belkin was obviously very chashuv, so we should take seriously what he says.

anyways, heres the link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2M_eyjK9lJLS2c3dW14cjN2ZXc/edit?usp=sharing

(theres one more very important thing I want to say about this article but that will be for later)

No comments:

Post a Comment