Sunday, June 9, 2013

pachim ketanim

Today I "killed" an hour of my time going back to get a spring jacket I had forgotten at someone's house. I was tempted to just abandon it (hope that they'd find a way to get it back to me later), but I was inspired by yaakov's going back for the pachim ketanim to be makpid on my possessions even at a considerable expense of time.  I realized something interesting from the experience, though.  A few months ago, a former KBY guy in kollel elyon was giving mussar, and he said that he doesnt understand why anyone would take a train for 2$ that takes an hr and a half instead of just taking a taxi for 25 (even 50) $ that will take 1/3 of the time (obviously assuming one can afford it.)  His argument was, isn't your time a lot more valuable than money?

This hit a nerve, because it wasn't the way I was brought up.  And thinking about it, doesn't the story with yaakov going back to get the small jars -- at a considerable expense of time, I add-- disprove him?    Rashi (chullin 91a) emphasizes that the jars werent really worth anything significant (especially with yaakov being so wealthy, so clearly he could afford the loss).  and yet yaakov chose to go back. the gemara explains that because he was so makpid on gezel, he therefore felt it important to treat seriously even the pachim ketanim. Whats pshat- yaakov was so wealthy that he wouldnt have been tempted to steal just because of the loss of pachim ketanim?

I think the pshat is that once you have a lackadaisical  attitude towards money that it isnt serious/ it doesnt matter, you automatically won't be makpid in the right way concerning other people's money, because you dont perceive it as a serious issue. You have to take money seriously - even at considerable expense of time - in order to be able to have the proper attitude towards other people's money.

I need to figure out how to contact this guy (he's now in florida) to express my disagreement.  And as always, I'd love to hear other peoples opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment